Lifting off 12-16 March 2014
2014 Event Programme
2013 Event Programme
Thursday 21 March
- 7.00am Mass Ascension – Carrington Park, Carterton. The festival’s official opening where all the balloons lift off together – a colourful and magical sight. Free entry.
- 1.30pm Balloon pilots & crews visit various schools in Carterton & Masterton
- 8.00pm Burner Parade – Carterton Town Centre. Balloon pilots and crews put on a fiery display parading through Carterton’s main street. Free entry.
Friday 22 March
- 7.00am MoreFM Balloon Meister’s Challenge – Wairarapa College, Renall St Masterton. The Balloon Meister will set the competition challenges for pilots to showcase their skills when balloons launch from the college’s grounds and fly over Masterton. Free entry.
- 4.00pm Meet the pilots at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton followed by an evening flight. Meet the pilots, get up close to the basket and see how a balloon works. Weather permitting; balloons will fly out of Hood Aerodrome. Free entry.
Saturday 23 March
- 7.00am Wairarapa Times-Age Splash ’n Dash – Henley Lake, Masterton. Balloons launch upwind of the lake and attempt to splash their baskets into the water to score points. Multiple attempts can be made. An exciting competition event! Free entry
- 6.30-8.45pm Trust House Night Glow – Solway Showgrounds, Masterton. The festival highlight and a magical evening for the whole family. Tethered balloons light up the night sky in a dazzling display, choreographed to music. Bring the whole family and a picnic. Food and drinks available for purchase. Cash gate sales only – adults $7, children 12 and under $4, under 5s free, family pass (2 adults, 3 children $20), Gates open 6.00pm. Family entertainment from 6.30pm.
Please note: Balloons may inflate at any time during the evening depending on weather conditions.
Sunday 24 March
- 7.00am Competition flight over Carterton, Carterton Events Centre. Pilots choose a venue where the wind direction gives them the best chance of dropping a competition marker onto a target at Carterton Events Centre Holloway Street. Free entry.